On the whole, your immune system does a remarkable job of defending you against disease-causing microorganisms. But sometimes it fails: A germ invades successfully and makes you sick.
The immune system is not a single entity. To function well, it requires balance and harmony. There is still much that researchers don’t know about the intricacies and interconnectedness of the immune response but it can be safe to say general healthy-living strategies make sense since they likely help immune function and they come with other proven health benefits.
Like any fighting force, the immune system army marches on its stomach. Healthy immune system warriors need good, regular nourishment. Regular exercise is another pillar of healthy living. It improves cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight and protects against a variety of diseases. Just like a healthy diet, exercise can contribute to general good health and therefore to a healthy immune system.
Habits That Weaken The Immune System
- Poor diet, including too much sugar intake.
- Excessive alcohol
- Not enough sleep
- Not maintaining regular exercise
Habits That Support The Immune System
- The more you gravitate toward a whole, clean, minimally-processed diet, the healthier your immune system will be.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Sleep is critical for cellular repair, recovering from an illness and maintaining a strong immune system.
- Exercise is a powerful health enhancer and a great stress reliever. Even moderate exercise like walking, helps.
- Learn good stress management and coping skills